- Recipient of a MacArthur “Genius” Award
- First African American woman to receive the Pulitzer Prize in drama for her play Topdog/Underdog
- Her 365 Plays/365 Days was preformed a week at a time and in sequence in theaters around the world from November 2006 – November 2007
- A mentor, author James Baldwin, said when she was young, that she was “an astonishing and beautiful creature who may become one of the most valuable artists of our time”
- Time Magazine says “her dislocating stage devices, stark but poetic language and fiercely idiosyncratic images transform her work into something haunting and marvelous.”
NOTE: Bio is as it appeared in the Forum program from November 21, 2008.
Special thanks to our Lifetime Patrons
View All Sponsors ›
Sign-up here to receive email updates from The Connecticut Forum!
We will send you exciting updates about our season, panelist announcements, special events, news and information that will keep you "in the know."
Your personal information is safe with us. We will never sell or share your personal information with anyone else.